Monday, July 19, 2010

Jimmy Webb's interview

[...]

“There wasn’t a smidgen of teamwork in me,” he continued as he recalled his embattled relationship with his early mentor, the country-pop singer and songwriter Johnny Rivers, to whom he was under contract. “I would go through the motions of cooperation, but in actual fact I wasn’t cooperating with anybody. I was very unkind. Many times since then, I’ve wondered, would I do it the same way? I probably would, because I would be 20 years old and I would be selfish.”

[...]

“At some point I realized that although I didn’t have this unilateral popularity and acceptance, I was this marvelously invisible man. Watch me walk through this wall and go into this room, and here I am watching the Beatles record the White Album,” he said. “I was at the Monterey Pop festival in Johnny Rivers’ band. I was living in Laurel Canyon when Joni Mitchell was there. I’m sitting in the back of the Village Vanguard eating a hamburger watching Bill Evans play sets. The person who played me the Who’s ‘Tommy’ for the first time was Terence Stamp.”

[...]

No comments: